Come join SparkMeter’s finance team and help increase electricity access in developing countries. As a full-time or part-time Finance Controller, you will help us meet our financial goals through a combination of financial analysis and administrative responsibilities. This role is critical to SparkMeter’s operations, and your work will help us maintain good standing with our customers and current and future investors.
You'll focus on:
- Managing accounts payable (A/P). We work with vendors that provide us with everything from hardware components for our meters to international freight forwarding services. As part of your A/P duties, you’ll:
- Receive invoices from our vendors, and enter them into Quickbooks Online as A/P with the appropriate account classification;
- Set up payments for A/P.
- Managing accounts receivable (A/R). Nearly all of our contracts are with foreign companies. You’ll manage invoicing for microgrid developers in countries all over the world who are providing electricity to communities for the first time. Your A/R work will include:
- Transferring orders booked by our Business Development team in Salesforce to Quickbooks Online as A/R with the appropriate account classification;
- Creating invoices and sending to our customers for A/R.
- Inventory tracking. We partner with contract manufacturers in the US and abroad to produce our meters. You’ll work with our contract manufacturers to:
- Track work in progress (WIP) accounts;
- Track cost of goods and services (COGS) accounts;
- Evaluate methodologies for WIP and COGS tracking appropriate to SparkMeter’s scale, such as “last-in, first-out” (LIFO) and “first-in, first-out” (FIFO).
- Reporting & analysis. Financial reporting and analysis helps our CEO and our investors understand how our business strategy is doing, and gives us key insights on where to take our organization. Your work will include:
- Tracking and aggregating financial and business-wide KPIs;
- Creating reports on financial actuals vs. projections (variance from operating plan).
- Administrative functions. Simply put, the administrative work our finance team does makes SparkMeter go. Some of the administration you’ll do includes:
- Handling employee and contractor expense reports;
- Collaborating with SparkMeter’s accounting firm, including managing audits and IRS filings;
- Working with SparkMeter’s benefits and insurance providers.
As SparkMeter grows, you will be able to shape the responsibilities and direction of this role. For example, you could take on duties in the area of developing budgets and creating financial projections to assess different pricing and business models.
Where You'll Work
SparkMeter's business operations are based in our Washington D.C. office, but our team is all over the world. This role can be remote (in the United States), or you can work out of our Washington office.
Type of Employment
We can consider candidates for this role as part-time employees, independent consultants, or full-time employees with benefits.
SparkMeter was founded to promote opportunity in underrepresented communities.
SparkMeter’s core value is opportunity: the opportunity for underserved communities to achieve great things. That's why our mission is to increase access to electricity in underserved communities - it is electricity and the services derived from it that unlock and create those opportunities. This value is reflected in our hiring ethos: we believe that the strongest teams have diverse backgrounds. Our approach to hiring has been validated by academic and industry studies that show that workforce diversity improves team and business performance. (It has also been validated by the quality of the team we’ve assembled so far!) We encourage applications from members of groups currently underrepresented in our sector.
Requirements & Skills
You'll be a good fit for this role if you have:
- Accounting experience. You’ll use your familiarity with accounting concepts and experience working as an accountant every day in this role. (It’s a plus if your accounting experience includes work with companies manufacturing or producing goods. The manufacturing sector is unique, and we will benefit from your experience in these areas.)
- A background in corporate finance. SparkMeter is a small company, but we are committed to accounting best practices used by larger businesses and organizations.
- Quickbooks Online. You’ll use Quickbooks Online to manage all of our accounting, A/P, and A/R.
- Microsoft Excel modeling. You’ll use Excel to track actuals vs. projections (variance from operating plan).
- Salesforce. Our business development team uses Salesforce to generate and book customer orders, and you’ll transfer orders from Salesforce into Quickbooks Online as A/R.
- Comfort with online collaboration tools like Slack and Google Hangouts. Our team is located all around the world, and we use modern tools to keep everyone in touch. You should be comfortable using (or okay with learning) text chat tools like Slack and video conferencing tools like Google Hangouts.
We’d also like to see (but don’t require) experience with or interest in:
- Energy and climate change.
- International development and social enterprise.
How to Apply
You can apply for this role at https://sparkmeter.typeform.com/to/KXQ53Q.
SparkMeter is a venture-backed company that was founded in late 2013, a spin-off of the non-profit EarthSpark International. We developed our low-cost, pre-pay enabled, smart metering system as a solution for electric utilities in developing countries to serve low-income customers. Our metering system is being widely adopted by utilities serving customers in rural parts of Asia, Sub-Saharan Africa, and Latin America and the Caribbean.